Apple Cake Recipe
An easy but moist and delicious apple cake, perfect for those Sunday evening cravings! (adapted from Laura Vitale)
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup of Butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp of Vanilla Sugar
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- 3 cups of Flour
- ½ tsp of Salt
- 4 Apples, peeled, cored and cut into bite size pieces
- ¾ cup of Milk
- 3 tbsp of Candied Orange Peel (optional)
- 3 tbsp of Icing Sugar (to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Grease a baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Then add the eggs one by one to prevent curdling.
- Add the milk and whisk together until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the flour along with the baking powder and vanilla powder (or extract) and mix it together just long enough to combine the dry ingredients. Add the orange peel at this point (if you are using any).
- Toss the cubed apples with 3 tbsp of flour.
- Add the floured apples to the batter and fold them in carefully.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake it for about one hour to an hour and fifteen minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes, invert onto a serving plate and dust generously with icing sugar.
This cake is best served warm with a nice cup of tea but will taste just as good, cold the next day!